What do you want to be when you grow up?

My mother tells me that when I was a child I wanted to be a taxi driver. I don’t really remember this but I have always found that particular shade of yellow appealing. Since I live in Oklahoma, where taxis aren’t really very prevalent, I don’t really know why that notion would have occurred to me.
Skipping ahead, during my childhood, I also wanted to be an actress, a lawyer, a journalist, a librarian, a historian, and finally my senior year of high school I settled on anthropologist. I actually stuck with anthropologist long enough to get my B.A., work in a couple of museums, and go on to get my masters in Museum Studies.  
As it turns out life can be rather messy and what sounds appealing when you begin a journey may not be all that you thought it would be. I don’t work in any of the fields listed above. I have a regular day job that pays the bills and provides my husband and I with excellent health insurance. I have a very good quality of life and this is something that sits very high on my list of priorities. I want to provide well for myself and my family now and in the future.
There is one more profession that I have coveted since I was very young and I haven’t given up on it yet. I want to be an author. I want to write stories that other people enjoy reading. I would also like to make some money at some point doing this. I work on this dream when I have the time. I try to find the time as often as possible. I want to be a successful writer when I grow up.
What do you want to be when you grow up?
Kristine Duffey

Comments

  1. Being from neighboring Kansas I got a good chuckle out of the taxi idea! I do think the author idea has merit and I will continue stopping by to see how that is going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Tulsa, a few years back, I remember noticing few, if any, taxi cabs. Not that I was looking to take one, it was just that, coming from New York, where cabs are everywhere, it was almost a relief not to be run down by one.

    Interesting job idea on your part, I must say, actually, it was very cute!

    What do I want to be when I grow up?

    Young again!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts