A trip to the bookstore

David and I went to Borders yesterday. I love book stores and I’m glad David doesn’t mind stopping ‘just to look around.” I love the smell of coffee and books mixed together. I wish coffee tasted as good as it smells. I don’t like to drink it but I love to smell it and the smell invokes one of 2 desires and sometimes both at the same time. #1- Books and bookstores. #2- Pancakes. The smell of coffee always puts me in the mood for pancakes with strawberry syrup…with a side of scrambled eggs and bacon. Mmmmmm….I think I see a trip to IHOP in our future.
Anyway, we were at Borders and I was wondering around with a 33% off coupon burning a hole in my purse. I found my way over to the writer’s book section which just happens to be over by the wedding book section. With the wedding coming up (109 days away) I like to flip through a wedding planning book every once in a while and consider buying one. I haven’t yet so at this point I probably will not but that doesn’t stop me from thinking about it. I keep expecting to find the one with all of the answers in it and I guess that one just hasn’t been published yet. So, on this particular browse of the area I found that I could not get to the bridal section. There were 2 very young looking people fidgeting back and forth.  They did not look like they were more than 18…if that. It was a boy and a girl and the girl was chattering away as she flipped through the pages.
I entertained myself by looking at the books for writers. Interestingly enough I haven’t sound the writing book with all of the answers either. I think someone is holding out on me. The guy seemed nice enough but a bit uncomfortable holding a stack of pink bridal books. I was careful not to stare. Standing there I noticed a pattern in the girl’s speech to the man who I can only assume is her fiancé. She ended every second or third sentence with, ‘I’m so overwhelmed!’ She really seemed to be getting worked up. The guy just stood there looking at her. I could have felt sorry for him but I don’t really.
At that moment I surveyed myself.
Do I feel overwhelmed? No.
Do I sound like that? God, I hope not.
Shouldn’t I be flipping out with so little time left before the wedding? I have absolutely no idea. Maybe, I’m delusional.
 Maybe, I should be as overwhelmed as she is? But, I don’t want to be.
That’s about where my thoughts ended on the subject at the moment. The couple walked away with a stack of books and David popped up ready to go.
I did buy a book using my coupon but it was a book for David’s niece. I don’t really need another book until I get through the stack I am in the middle of. I just love bookstores…and coupons…and the smell of coffee…and pancakes.
Maybe I should open a bookstore/pancake house.
So far I’m not overwhelmed. I am very aware of the time and what needs to be done and maybe I’ll panic when I get closer to the big day. For now I’m glad I haven’t lost it. I have a lot on my plate at work and a lot to do for the wedding and dissolving into an overwhelmed mess would be counterproductive. I really hope I can maintain this calm. Wish me luck. It’s going to be a very long and extremely short 4 months.
KD

Comments

  1. It's always fun browsing bookstores. I'm liking the sound of that bookstore - pancake house. Very inviting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts