Use What You’ve Got: Spasagna

Spasagna
 It’s been a crazy week. Our house was flooded one week ago. I won’t go into the minute details. Basically, roofers pulled off the roof, didn’t tarp it, and a rain storm came. We rent and we can’t live in the huge mess. So, we are decided to get out quickly. By tonight we will be completely out. We moved in with my parents and put almost everything in storage. We have a plan. It involves buying a home so that will take us a little while.

This recipe is the last big dish I made in our old home before things went sideways. My husband and son loved it. So did my mom. I made it using the stuff I had in the pantry, fridge, and freezer. What would I change? Next time I’d use even more cheese. We love cheesy food in our house…I guess my parent’s house now. We’re still good. They like cheese, too.

The easy thing about this recipe is that you can just throw in what you’ve got. Leave out what you don’t have. I can imagine all sorts of variations. What would you substitute? Feel free to share ideas in the comments.

So here is what I ad in the pantry and the fridge.
Ingredients for Spasagna

This Parmesan was an impulse buy. Glad I found a use.


Spasagna

Ingredients
1 lb spaghetti, uncooked
1 15oz jar Alfredo Sauce (I used Classico)
1 and a half cups shaved Parmesan cheese (I used Bel Gioioso)
2 4oz cans of Mushrooms, drained
Salt and pepper to taste
Meat Sauce:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 small bell pepper (diced)
1 24oz jar spaghetti sauce (I used Rinaldi)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Cups shredded Italian Blend cheese (I used Kraft)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook Spagetti

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well and place in large mixing bowl. 
Mix it all together

Add to the bowl and stir together the Alfredo, Mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
Yum

Pour the spaghetti mixture into prepared dish.
While pasta is cooking, prepare the meat sauce.
Making the Meat Sauce

For the meat sauce: Brown the ground beef, onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper in a skillet over medium heat. Turn the burner off and stir in the jar of spaghetti sauce.
Spasagna Ready to Cook

Pour the meat sauce over the spaghetti in the baking dish. Sprinkle the shredded Italian blend cheese on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I served this with a nice little salad. 

Comments

Popular Posts